Athletic Clearance Requirements
Prepare to be part of our proud Panthers athletics teams.
Every Adelphi student-athlete is required to be seen by the Nurse Practitioner in Health Services annually to play collegiate sports. This appointment allows the practitioner to review the student’s health history, possibly perform an EKG.
- All new athletes playing for Adelphi for the first time must schedule an appointment to see the Nurse Practitioner by calling 516.877.6000. New guidelines by the NCAA require that all entry physical exams be conducted by a physician (M.D. or D.O.) or if by another practitioner be co-signed by the M.D or D.O. This exam must be conducted within 6 months of the start of practice or play at the University. Athletes presenting for their Health Clearance will be turned away if their physical is not on file or it is older than 6 months. NCAA guidelines require the physical be signed by an independent practicing Nurse Practitioner or a physician (M.D. or D.O). Nurse practitioners who are supervised or Physician Assistants must have the physicians signature as a co-signature on the form.
- Appointments take approximately 30-45 minutes to complete so plan accordingly.
- Returning athletes will be scheduled during the spring and summer semesters for a new assessment with the Nurse Practitioner. This must be done on an annual basis or you will not be allowed to attend practice or participate in your sport. Any updates or changes in your medical condition that may have occurred over the previous year will be added to your record during these visits. This appointment takes approximately 15-30 minutes.
- Schedule: March (Field Hockey, Cross Country, Tennis, Soccer and Volleyball); April (Women’s Lacrosse, Baseball, Softball, Swimming and Golf); May (Basketball, Men’s Lacrosse, Track, and bowling). August – New & Transfer Athletes. Exceptions to this schedule can be made, please contact 516-877-6000 if you are unable to complete your clearance during your assigned time frame.
- Self-Scheduling: All registered students have the ability to self-schedule their appointments through the Health Portal found on ecampus. Your scheduling reason would be “Athletic Preseason Clearance.”
- Banned Substances: For all Adelphi University Athletes, please review the NCAA Banned substances list for full disclosure of items that you are restricted from taking.
Mandatory Sickle Cell Trait Education/Testing
The NCAA requires all collegiate athletes who play a Division sport to receive education related to Sickle Cell Trait annually. All Adelphi athletes must watch the NCAA video on Sickle Cell Trait and review the fact sheet (PDF 1.3MB) prior to their health clearance.
- Individuals have the right to decline testing after viewing the educational information. If you decide not to have the testing done, please complete the Sickle Cell Test waiver form (PDF 78KB) and provide to your athletic trainer or complete the online form available through athletics.
- Any individual who waives testing may return Health Services at any time to have the testing done.
- If a student-athlete were to test positive for sickle cell trait, there is no punitive actions. The test is to alert coaches, trainers and health center staff that the student is at a higher risk for dehydration and needs closer monitoring during practice and games. A positive test does NOT prevent you from participating.
- Many individuals received this screening at birth. If you are able to get a copy from your health care provider, bring it to Adelphi’s Health Services Center (HSC) as proof of the test and no further action will be necessary. If not, you can ask your health care provider to perform the test for you or you can have it done by the HSC. The test is obtained through a venous blood sample. Then we will provide you with additional education such as shown in the NCAA video. If you choose to have the test done, please bring a copy of your health insurance card with you to the appointment.
Scheduling Your Appointment
Self-schedule via the Health Portal on eCampus.
Call 516.877.6000 and please be sure to inform the administrative assistant that you are an athlete making an appointment for your health clearance. There is no charge for this service.
Students must be aware that all information received during the Health Assessment and Clearance appointment is transmitted to the Athletic Trainers for continuity of your physical health as an athlete.